Beauty is the First Test
Curated by Liz Cooper.
- The Pumphouse Gallery, London, 02 September - 25 November 2012
- R-Space at The Linen Rooms, Lisburn, Northern Ireland, 05 Feb - 05 March 2013
- The National Centre for Craft & Design, Sleaford, 29 April - 30 June 2013
- Bilston Craft Gallery, Wolverhampton, 07 Sept - 02 Nov 2013
- Platform Gallery, Clitheroe, 25 January - 19 April 2014
- The National Craft Gallery, Kilkenny, Ireland 16 May - 9 July 2014
This exhibition explores how mathematical concepts underpin craft technique and artistic development. Artists include Michael Brennand-Wood, Suresh Dutt, Janice Gunner, Lesley Halliwell, Lucy McMullen, Janette Matthews, Peter Randall Page, Ann Sutton and Laura Thomas
Although a touring show, no two exhibitions looked the same; each space gave Beauty is the First Test its own particular personality. New works and artists were added as the show continued to tour allowing a deeper exploration of the relationship between mathematics and art practices.
A review of Beauty is the First Test can be read here; A place where making meets mathematics by Glenn Adamson (Crafts - The Magazine for Contemporary Craft Nov/Dec 2012 pp52-54)